Moose Lovey

Last March, for the birth of a little baby girl I was planning to crochet a light blue-purple baby blanket with embroiered reindeer patterns. But... New-borns need extremely big blankets and the little lady was about to come two weeks earlier than I expected it. So I decided to use the parts of the blanket that I already had and made a head for it.


"Half-done blanket + something creative = lovey"

 What you need:
  • 4" or 5" hook
  • two balls of yarn (100g each, cheerful but not too garish)
  • brown yarn (ca. 50 g)
  • grey yarn (just a little for the antlers)
  • black and white thread for the eyes
  • sponge or other filling material
1. I crocheted four squares (two from each color). I don't remember the exact size but this chart from pinterest.com can help. (I know... I also hate inches :P )

 As far as I remember mine was between the Lovey and Security size with 20 rows in each square.

2. I sewed the four parts together like a chess board. And added a simple brown frame to make it look more integrated.

3. The good thing about this half-moose that I didn't need to think of the body. I only crocheted the head and two arms/legs which directly come from the head. (Yeah, pretty strange, but babies aren't so critizising.)
4. So I made a ball for its head then crocheted a little circle to its surface and finished it as a half-sphere. ( <-- this is the nose) + if you want it to be filled in, put a little piece of sponge to the middle of the circle before strarting to crochet the half-sphere
5. The antlers were rather frustrating to make as they never wanted to be symmetrical. First, I just made the form, then went through the edges with a simple stitch.
6. As for the legs, they were just the usual long cylinders that I crocheted from brown yarn and sewed the ends with grey yarn to get the hoofs.
7. As the last step, I embroidered little nosestrils and eyes - as you can see on the picture.

Lov(el)y, isn't it? ;)

Hope you liked it! See you next time. And Happy New Year :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts